Bus (버스) system in South Korea spans the entire country. Bus is probably the most economical way to travel between cities. However, be aware that bus would be less punctual than train or flight due to occasionally heavy traffic although many parts of Korean Expressways have designated bus lanes.
Two types of bus services are available.
- Express Bus (고속버스)
Express buses run on expressways and do not stop at any places between departing and arriving locations except for rest areas.
You have two options: Ilban express bus (일반고속 / Standard) and Udeung express bus (우등고속 / Premium). Udeung buses have wider and more comfortable seats at a higher rate.
- Intercity Bus (시외버스)
Intercity buses make more frequent stops on the way thus serves more smaller cities and towns at a lower rate.
Some major cities have more than one bus terminals at different locations. So please, confirm your boarding location when you purchase or reserve tickets.
- Express Bus Terminals in Seoul
- Seoul Express Bus Terminal (Gyeongbu and Yeongdong Line)
- Central City Express Bus Terminal (Honam Line)
- Dong Seoul Terminal (serves both Express and Interciy Bus)
- Intercity Bus Terminals in Seoul
- Seoul Nambu Terminal
- Sangbong Terminal
Tickets and Resources (Links)
- Express Bus Ticket Reservation and Schedule
- Kobus: www.kobus.co.kr (Korean, English, Chinese, and Japanese)
- Seoul Express Bus Terminal: www.exterminal.co.kr (Korean only)
- Intercity Bus Ticket Reservation and Schedule
- BUS TAGO: www.bustago.or.kr (Korean, English, Chinese, and Japanese)
- T Money: txbuse.t-money.co.kr (Korean, English, Chinese, and Japanese)
- Seoul Nambu Terminal: www.nambuterminal.com (Korean only)
- Sangbong Terminal: www.sbtr.co.kr (Korean only)
Tips for Bus Trip
- Buses don’t have toilets on board so use the restroom before you board. However, on long journeys, the buses stop at rest areas every few hours for 10 to 15 minutes so no need to worry too much. Besides, Korean rest areas on expressways would be definitely unique experiences themselves.
- Be aware of weekends and Korean holidays. Usually it shouldn’t be so hard to purchase bus tickets, but tickets could be very hard to attain for certain times.